ARTICLE CATEGORIES
MUSEA & RESEARCH
MUSEA AND RESEARCH FACILITIES IN LADY GREY
ROUTES - HIKING & DRIVING
LADY GREY TOURISM
HOMEPAGE
E-MAIL US
MUSEA AND RESEARCH FACILITIES IN LADY GREY by Dalene Oertel - Mountain View Country Inn
Posted: 07 May 2013

RESEARCH – LADY GREY HISTORY

Research material includes historic documents, lists, summaries and photographs about the village and its people. It focuses on the evolvement of Lady Grey and the surrounding farms, development of infrastructure (the pass, dams, bridges and rail), the economy, disasters, hardship and abundance as well as prominent and less prominent role players.
Highlights are:
• Lady Grey during the Anglo Boer War;
• Lady Eliza Lucy Grey, the Lady after whom the village was named;
• Sarah Bella Glueck, the “Plucky Postmistress of Lady Grey”;
• Joubert’s pass and the farmers who constructed it.
• Construction of the rail to Barkly East, the rail reverse system, the tunnel and the train accident.
Location: Mountain View Country Inn - Tel.: 051 603 0421

RESEARCH - LADY GREY GENEALOGY
Books, photographs, documents and electronic media focus on old Lady Grey families.
It includes:
Copies of Church and Cemetery Registers and a Lady Grey Map with original/replacement erf numbers.
• SA Genealogies – All Surnames (A to Z)
• Books on the following families: De Wet, Greyling, Le Roux, Myburgh, Roux, Swanepoel and Van Der Merwe.
• Documents with focus on the following Lady Grey families: Church, Cloete, Dicks, Els, Joubert, Naudé, Nel, Odendaal, Ross, Schlebusch, Stephenson and Vorster. Location: Mountain View Country Inn – Tel.: 051 603 0421

DAVID ROSS COLLECTION
Items and documents date back to 19 August 1864 when Rev. David Ross had the first meeting to establish a school in Lady Grey. It tells of the evolvement of the school, difficulty and shame as well as honour, achievements and pride. It also tells about new buildings, name changes, headmasters, teachers and students. A dramatic decline in students in the 1980’s resulted in the school changing to a primary school. Under the visionary leadership of Mr CJ Oosthuysen (1994—1996), the school changed to a school for art and music students. The school regained high school status and the name was changed to the Lady Grey Arts Academy. All items with historic value were moved to Mountain View for safe-keeping. It includes the flag, ink stamps, the school badge and the school song. There are also items from the secretary’s office and various classes as well as blazers, albums, annuals and minute books.
Location: Mountain View Country Inn - Tel.: 051 603 0421

DUTCH REFORMED CHURCH MUSEUM (NG Kerk Museum)
Money was borrowed to build the Dutch Reformed Church which was completed in 1913. In 1924 there was an outstanding amount of £8000. In order to pay the debt, Gabriel and Johanna Nel erected and donated a small building, to be used as a Koffiehuis (coffee shop) on the church property. Ladies from the congregation sold beverages and snacks at the Koffiehuis and soon the debt was paid. At a later stage it was changed to a Museum. Various interesting items were donated by the community and space became a problem. This was resolved in 2012 when new display cabinets were installed. The Museum contains items and photographs from the DR Church, the old Koffiehuis, Great Trek, Anglo-Boer War and First World War as well as antique household items, clothing and various interesting odds and ends.
Please contact Mrs. Jooste to open and guide you on a tour. She tells the most interesting stories about the objects in the museum.
Location: C/O Murray and Joubert Streets – Tel.: 051-603 0130

HISTORIC PLACES
DR Church and garden. This includes the Museum, Powder house, old Wagon, the three Crosses and the Bell.
Old Cemetery — C/O Church & Dwars Streets. Consult the Cemetery Register at Senqu Municipality or alternately at Mountain View if you are looking for a specific grave.
Historic Walk/Drive - John Bradish is an excellent guide. He continually researches the history of Lady Grey and knows all the historic and interesting places, including the Anglo-Boer War sites. Phone: 051-603 0346
Fossils from the area - Contact Elsabe von Solms at 051-603 0240 / 084 510 5559.
Rail Reverses, Tunnel & Bridge - Contact Elize Cloete 084 584 7036

 

 

 

 

 

 





Website Designed & Hosted by QuickSolve
IT and Advertising Solutions Worldwide




© Copyright Lady Grey Tourism. All Rights Reserved.
No article or picture may be reproduced\published
without the written consent of Lady Grey Tourism.